Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homemade Christmas Wreath

A couple years ago I had an itch to buy our first home's first Christmas wreath.  I searched high and low for a pretty one at a decent price and had no such luck.  I was shocked to find some ugly ones at a whopping $40-$50 price tag.  It wasn't until I went to my last store that I realized it's not very difficult to make my own.  In the end I paid half the price and came out with a one of a kind creation.  This is a wreath that I handmade and will be able to hang every year as a tradition; eventually passing it on to my children.  Here's how I did it & you can too!

I was in Target and saw they had bare wreaths for about $18 (with the pine cones).  I went into their wrapping section and picked up a few bows that had twisty ties on the back, along with a huge white one and the red bow with gold bell hanging (approx. $10 total).  Then I discovered in their "mini tree" decorating section they had the tiny colored ball ornaments in a variety of colors so I picked up two packages of those, along with the "mini tree" ornament wire hangers (approx. $5 total).


 I started off by laying the wreath on the table and chose where I wanted the main white bow to go.  I then took the red bow with gold bell and tied it around the center of the white bow.  Be sure to do this before attaching the white bow onto your wreath.  From there I simply spaced out the smaller white bows and twisty tied them onto the branches.  The last step was to put on the colored ball ornaments.  When you're done with the bow placements, lean the wreath against a wall or chair.  You will have a better view this way and will get an actual sense of where you want the ball ornaments hanging from.  Put the ball ornaments onto the wire hanger and once you hang them on the branch make sure to squeeze the hanger closed.  You'll be happy when it comes time to put the wreath away; nothing will fall off.

Waa Laa!!  You've now got  a one of a kind (cheaper) wreath that you'd never find in any local store.

Happy Holidays to you & your loved ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment